Green Man δ - Brant Broughton St Helen's

by Temple Music

supported by
/
1.

about

This album is the fourth part in a series of seven long pieces inspired and informed by different Green Man locations in the county of Lincolnshire, England. Brant Broughton is in an area anciently settled and farmed, mentioned in the Domesday book, and at the junction of two small rivers, the Sandbeck and the Brant. Rather than the name of the village and the river being associated, Brant Broughton’s etymology is Anglo-Saxon, meaning ‘Burnt, Fortified Settlement. The river Brant itself flows on in the shadow of Lincoln Edge before joining the Witham after some twelve miles. On the other side of Lincoln Edge lies a chain of small villages that mirror those of the Edge itself, including that of Dunston where Sir Francis Dashwood of the Monks of Medmenham (otherwise known as The Hellfire Club) in 1751 built a tower on top of which a light burnt to help guide travellers over the wild and dangerous moors to Lincoln, a haunt of footpads and highwaymen (including Dick Turpin). This was built as a favour to his wife, who grew up in Nocton, a couple of miles away. Brant Broughton itself has an unusually wide and straight main street, giving away it’s history as a coaching stop (like Folkingham to the south on the London road), and many houses were country retreats for rich and noble London families. The Hellfire Club, including a future King of England met irregularly in an inn at Bracebridge; meetings were described as ‘determinedly paganistic’ in nature – whilst at the same time the theologian William Warburton was living in Brant Broughton writing ‘Alliance Between Church And State’ & ‘Divine Legation Of Moses’.
This, then, is the setting for the Grade 1 listed St Helen’s – an ancient place of mystery, violence and the divine. The church is indeed a grand and expensive one for such a seemingly out of the way place, and seems to hint at greater, other times. It is said to have the most elegant spire in Lincolnshire - 198 feet high and visible for miles around; parts of the current building are dated to 1290, and a church is mentioned in Domesday, so it is certain that there has been one on this spot for a very long time indeed. And this particular one is ‘richly decorated with fantastic figures of people and beasts’ as ‘Every Pilgrim’s Guide’ has it; carved by one of the so-called Demon Carvers of the East Midlands … and here also is The Green Man, gazing down far from benevolently… the feeling here is more disapproval of the taming of the wild past than anything even approaching benign…

credits

released October 29, 2016

Tracy Jeffery - Vocals
Stephen Robinson - Bass, Percussion, Tibetan Bells
Alan Trench - Guitars, Synths

tags

license

all rights reserved

about

Temple Music Lincoln, UK

Temple Music was started in 1995 as an offshoot of the English dark folk band ORCHIS and their interest in ancient Greek modal music, drone, magical trance states and krautrock. The permanent members are Alan Trench and Steve Robinson; creating shifting walls of noise; moments of arctic intensity; unsettling;demanding attention ... rhythm and chaos combined... ... more

contact / help

Contact Temple Music

Streaming and
Download help

Shipping and returns

Track Name: Green Man δ - Brant Broughton St Helen's
In the morning when the sound of sleep has faded away
And all the dew has dried and done
The beaded sunlight arrested plays and stays inside
Is caught in ambered insect home

Awake into the dawn, hear the song
Arrest, attest the sun, sing the song